Monday, August 24, 2009

And back to kindergarten...

So, after a few months of nothingness, this afternoon I had the most incredible urge to blog. For the last couple of months, every time I sit down to blog, I have had nothing to write about. Until today... when I returned to kindergarten.

This week I am responsible for assessing all of my kindergartners. Most of us, when we go in for a test take it very seriously and don't ask a lot of questions. But then again, most of us aren't five.

Me: "Okay, Kody, I am going to tell you a math problem. You can use the blocks in front of you to solve it."
Kody: Okay.
Me: So, here's my problem, "I had five balls..."
Kody: Why?
Me: It's just part of the problem. Keep listening. So I had five balls, I gave two to my friend..."
Kody: Why?!?
Me: Just keep listening. I had five balls, I gave two to my friend. How many do I have left?
Kody: (after counting all of the blocks in front of him, of which there were ten) Five!

Me: Now that you've told me the letters, we're going to look at the sounds that the letters make. What sound does this letter make?
Brigham: That's an A.
Me: It is an A, what sound does it make?
Brigham: That's an A like alligator.
Me: It does start alligator. What sound does it make?
Brigham: Chop, chop, chop!

Apparently, my directions were not very clear.

I'm a little nervous now about kindergarten starting. After training my last group so well, I kind of wish I had them back. But then again, maybe I trained them too well. While walking past a first grade classroom today, I overheard a first grader say, "Miss Parrish wouldn't like that. You need to stop." At least I know my influence is still felt.

1 comment:

rebekah said...

that was hilarious. I enjoyed the alligator one the most. Good luck this year!