Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Costumes, Letters, Magic Ovens, and Things

Kindergartners take everything you say literally as a teacher. Sometimes it's a compliment because it shows that they really do get something out of school. Sometimes it's just funny, and sometimes it can be frustrating for others. For example, yesterday I told the kindergartners to make sure that their parents saw our October newsletter. That way they would be sure to know what was going on at school, and would also have a calendar of important events, like the Halloween parade where they would get to wear their costume to school. Shela, however, didn't quite understand what I meant.
Shela was under the impression that we were doing the Halloween parade the next day, meaning today. She was sure of it-- her teacher said so. She was so sure of it that she was not going to put on her clothes today. No ifs, ands, or buts about it... she would only wear her costume. Nothing her mother said could convince her. So, they called the school and Shela talked to the secretary- but the secretary was not her teacher, and therefore, not a valid source of information. She was still not going to school in regular clothes. So, during lunch time, I got to call Shela to tell her that today was not the day to wear her costume. Her answer was simply, "I think I got a little mixed up." :)
I told Shela she should probably not wear her costume today, but if she'd like to, she was welcome to draw me a picture of it. She was a few minutes late to class simply because it took her a little while to get in all the details on her picture. I told the rest of the class that they could also draw me a picture if they'd like. Several others assured me, "I can't wait! I'll be drawing you a picture!"

Kindergartners also have a very magical imagination. Each day this year, I have been having one letter of the alphabet visit our classroom each day. I did this last year, but this year I actually found pictures of the "Letter People" series that I grew up with. So, one of these letters "knocks" on our door each day and introduces themselves. The kids live for this. They peek out the door to see when the letter is coming. They are on pins and needles waiting for the knock, and they cheer when they arrive and welcome them, "We're so glad you're here letter __." They also get frustrated when the letter is late (like on review days) or forgets to come.

I hadn't realized how seriously they took it though until I talked to one parent today to find out that not only did her son talk about the letters like they were real people, but that he also prays for them at night. :) I guess I'd better not let him down.

This same kindergartner also was amazed by our fundraiser assembly yesterday. The woman that taught the students about the cookies had a "magic oven." She would put the cookie dough in her oven, and instantly (after saying the magic words), a batch of baked cookies would come out. Briggs was easily fooled. During recess he told me, "I wish I had a magic oven like that. That would be awesome."

And then, just to show that you never quite know what is running through a child's brain he said, "There's a fat girl in first grade. Not like the Statue of Liberty, huh Mrs. Mulder."

1 comment:

Deb and AJ said...

So fun to read about your kindergartners. Sounds like things are going well.