Thursday, August 21, 2008

New Tables and Crowded Classrooms

My classroom has four long rectangular tables. I have it set up so that there is room for six children on every table. Unfortunately, the parents of kindergartners neglect to register their children until three days before school starts, so now I have more children in my classroom than I do desks. This fact gives me nightmares and night sweats and day sweats and such.
But it's okay because today I talked to my principal and apparently, if I get up to 27 children in my class, I get an aide and if I get up to 30, we get a new teacher! (Hallelujah!) So, ironically, I'm now no longer hoping for small class sizes, I'm rooting for as many kids as possible. You have kids out of boundary? Not a problem! I know where you can attend! Your children just barely miss the age deadline, it's all right, close enough! You feel like your child is not ready for first grade and want to hold them back? Now's the time!
So, the best news though is that my Aunt Allison is getting rid of some small round tables for her classroom at a different school. And today, she told me that I can take them from her school to mine! Woo hoo! Now I'll have enough seats for all of my children! I was so excited, I kind of danced down the hall. Ron, a custodian caught me, and just said, "It's all right. I won't tell anyone."

No comments: