Monday, September 15, 2008

Large Families

The children in my class all come from very large families. That's pretty much what I concluded after today's workshop activity. The children were each asked to use their thumbprints to make thumbprint people. Each thumbprint would make the head of a person, and the children had to draw the rest of the body. I asked the children to make a "Thumbprint Family," meaning that they had to draw their family, using the thumbprint people. Kindergartners love this activity! However, I seem to think that many of them may have been exaggerating the size of their families. I did mention that they could include pets, but some of the children must have been counting every ant that had ever walked across their sidewalk. In fact, some children had such large families, they had to go so far as to not only dip their thumb in the ink... but most of their hand. Needless to say, some did not get around to drawing a body for every family member... so tragic. :)

No comments: